Learn about the culture, history and community involvement of Educators Credit Union.
- History of Educators
- Educators Financial Statement
- Community Involvement
- How We’re Different
- Press Releases
- Holiday Closings
Looking for a career opportunity? View our career center to see if we have a position that is right for you.
Welcome to Educators Credit Union! We are a closed charter credit union, serving the financial needs of anyone who lives and works in Southeastern Wisconsin, with special emphasis on education, healthcare and government related employees.
We service Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington, and Waukesha counties with 17 convenient locations!
Educators Mission Statement
Our mission is to passionately help people by educating and advising and earning loyalty. Educators Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative owned by its members.
Educators Credit Union originated in Racine, Wisconsin in 1937 as the Racine Teachers’ Credit Union.
Although growth was slow in the early years, it was steady. In the 1970’s Educators had a major growth spurt with the opening of the Kenosha and Burlington branch offices. It was then that the Racine Teachers Credit Union emerged as “Educators Credit Union”. Educators now has 17 full-service offices and has expanded its charter to include the groups listed above.
The credit union has undergone many changes in the last 75 years, Educators’ mission statement remains constant. Today, with assets exceeding $1.3 billion, Educators is one of the largest and most successful credit unions in Southeastern Wisconsin.
All Educators deposits are insured by the NCUA for at least $250,000.
Current as of December 31, 2014
|Cash and Due from Deposit Institutions||$18,917,783|
|Loans to Members (Net of Allowance for Loan Losses)||$1,156,886,222|
|Furniture and Fixtures (Net)||$9,701,026|
|Land and Building (Net)||$35,504,703|
Liabilities and Member Equity
|Share Draft Checking||$180,231,474|
|Individual Retirement (IRA)||$92,142,209|
|Insured Money Market (IMMS)||$538,941,670|
|Total Liabilities and Member Equity||$1,478,928,304|
Educators is committed to helping build strong communities and making a positive difference where we live and work. Our staff members, and Educators as a whole, are very active in many different charities and community organizations in Southeastern Wisconsin.
Here are just a few of the ways we are involved in the community:
- Fundraising – Both staff and members donate money or items, including school supplies, coats, food, children’s books and toys, all of which benefit local organizations.
- Volunteering – Many staff members regularly volunteer for community events and organizations, which Educators highly encourages.
- Staff Casual Days – Educators staff can wear jeans once a month when they donate to a designated charity.
Educators Credit Union was founded in 1937 to promote thrift so that our members could borrow and save money at fair and reasonable interest rates. Educators would operate under the guiding principal to be “Not for Profit, Not for Charity, But for Service.” This purpose and philosophy remains our foundation and guiding force today, along with our mission to help every member achieve their financial goals.
How We Are Different (What You Should Expect):
- First Class Service — Educators focuses on you, our member/owners, and your specific financial needs.
- Exceptional Educational Resources — Complimentary workshops and guides show you how to save money when buying a car or home, investing or budgeting your money, or just to better understand financial products and matters.
- Competitive Rates — We want to be the leader in providing you with the best rates possible on savings accounts and consumer loan products.
- Limited Fees and Minimum Balance Requirements — Educators has very few minimum balance requirements, and our fees are much lower than other financials.
Our difference is measured heavily from ongoing member feedback. We care about what you have to say! In finding out your needs, we have achieved one of the highest satisfaction ratings for financial institutions in the country. In addition, Educators has paid extra year-end member loyalty rewards for over 15 years!
Educators Credit Union was recognized once again as one of the top 10 credit unions nationwide in our peer group for returning value to our members, according to a study by Callahan & Associates published in June 2010.
Educators was ranked #6 in the nation and #1 in Wisconsin!
The study ranked all U.S. credit unions with their peer group (based on asset size) by assessing their overall Return to Borrowers, Return to Savers and Member Service Usage during the fourth quarter of 2009. It reaffirms that Educators continues to offer some of the best rates, lowest fees and most convenient products and services to our members.
During each stage of your life, you will encounter financial challenges. Three of the most important milestones in life are putting a roof over your head, raising a family and assuring a comfortable retirement. All financial products designed for these areas were made to be as quick and convenient as possible and priced to save you money. Check with us during all your financial milestones to see how we can help you save money.
Besides the typical financial services you’re used to, here is a brief list of some of the unique services that you’ll find at Educators:
- What’s Your Score? — Get your free credit report and score, along with information on how you can improve or maintain your current credit score.
- Change Up® — Your debit card “credit” purchases are rounded to the next dollar and deposited into a separate higher rate savings account to help you easily build your savings.
- Reward Points — Earn reward points with your credit or debit card purchases that can be used for travel, merchandise, cash, or Educators product/service discounts or special interest rates.
- VIP Savings Account — Designed to help you save money in any amount, small or large, by “locking in” a higher rate savings account for 12 months. We’ll even add a bonus if you make monthly deposits and no withdrawals!
February 10, 2015
Statement on sentencing of Jessica Benson in branch robbery
November 27, 2013
Educators Credit Union and RelyLocal offer local shopping shuttle
November 14, 2013
Statement on charges filed against Jessica Benson in branch robbery
September 19, 2013
Educators employee Tobi Weingart earns CUDE certification
March 28, 2012
Educators Credit Union Celebrates 75 years!
We will be closed on the following days in observation of National Holidays.
Jan 1, 2015 – New Year’s Day
Jan. 19, 2015 – Martin Luther King Day
May. 25, 2015 – Memorial Day
July 4, 2015 – Independence Day
Sept. 7, 2015 – Labor Day
Oct. 12, 2015 – Columbus Day
Nov. 26, 2015 – Thanksgiving Day
Dec. 24, 2015 – Christmas Eve – Closed at noon
Dec. 25, 2015 – Christmas Day Observed
Dec 31, 2015 – New Year’s Eve – Closed at noon
Jan 1, 2016 – New Year’s Day
A Message from Educators President, Eugene Szymczak
The last couple of years have been difficult for the country and our local communities. Many members have lost their jobs, homes and savings. Your credit union has also had to adapt to these changing times while interest rates have fallen to unheard of levels.
Despite the challenges, we are confident that things will get better by remaining committed to:
- provide First Class Service to our member/owners — our goal is to do what is in the best interest of our members.
- provide great resources to educate and advise members in making well-informed financial decisions.
- provide very competitive rates and limited to no minimum balance requirements or fees to save members money.
- deliver on our core values of honesty, integrity, fairness, respect and excellence.
- continue to be safe and sound — Educators is in very good financial shape with a capital ratio of around 11.00%.
In addition, we offer many programs that are making a difference in member’s lives, such as Educators Envision and What’s Your Score? where members can get a free copy of their credit report and score, with an explanation of what it all means.
Be assured that your credit union is here for you. Please turn to us in your times of need!
Eugene Szymczak, President
Mailing address: 1400 N. Newman Rd. Racine, WI 53406
Educators Credit Union’s benefits program is guided by our core values – honesty, integrity, fairness, respect and excellence.
The greatest benefit we offer our employees is the sense of belonging. Our employees are a team, dedicated to the service of others, who are proud to provide education and advice to our members.
Educators Credit Union offers a comprehensive benefits program with benefits provided to full-time employees and limited benefits provided to part-time employees.
Pension plan, 401(K) Plan and company matching contributions available to employees who average 1,000 hours per year.
Health insurance, dental, vision, health reimbursement account, flexible spending account, long-term disability insurance and company provided life insurance.
Vacation, sick leave and paid holidays available based on hours worked and length of employment.
Top 100 Work Places
Educators was recently named on of the Top 100 Work Places by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Tuition reimbursement, fitness reimbursement, walking program and employee assistance program.
Can I apply for more than one position?
Yes! You may apply for more than one position. We encourage you to apply for open positions that match your abilities and career choices.
How long will my application stay on file?
We will keep your application on file for 1 year. Throughout the year, you can update your profile to add additional information or apply for other available positions.
Is financial experience required in order to work at Educators Credit Union?
It depends on the position. A list of qualifications and skill sets are available by clicking on the job title you are searching.
Is a background or credit check part of the employment process?
Yes! If you are considered for a position at Educators Credit Union we will conduct a criminal check and a credit check. Since we are a financial institution, we are looking for employees who have a sound and stable credit and work history.
How long does it take for my resume and application to be reviewed?
You will receive an e-mail indicating that your resume and application have been received immediately. After the posting date has expired, our Recruiting & Hiring Specialist will begin to schedule interviews for qualified applicants.
What is the dress code at Educators?
Quality service, positive attitude, good member relations and a pleasing personal appearance are key factors in creating and maintaining a favorable image. Your appearance should be tasteful, conservative and business-like.
Does Educators offer a flexible work schedule?
Work schedules depend on the job description/position held at Educators. Some positions require a 40-hour work week and others require a 30-hour or only part-time work hours.
Educators Credit Union is an equal opportunity employer.
Educators was named one of the Top 100 Work Places of 2011 by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel!
Educators Credit Union is one of the largest, most successful credit unions in Southeastern Wisconsin. Since 1937 we have been a member-owned, member-focused full-service financial institution. Educators core values are passion, integrity, respect, community and stewardship.
These words describe our commitment to member services as well as our employment conditions and policies. Our culture is driven by our commitment to continuous learning, educating and advising our members and providing first-class service to our members, co-workers and other partners. Our investment in our employees and our commitment to our members makes Educators a rewarding work environment.
Educators offers a wide variety of internal training and professional development opportunities. We strive to promote from within the organization, and employees are encouraged to apply for open positions that match their abilities and career choice. Our staff development, teller co-op and learning hours programs are examples of programs specifically designed to guide the career paths of our employees.
Employees who work 30 hours or more per week and are employed for at least one year may be eligible for tuition reimbursement. This program covers the cost of tuition and books up to $2,000 per year with a lifetime cap of $11,000 for any course study.
Employee Bill of Rights
As a part of the Educators team, you are entitled to know in advance what is expected of you and to get regular feedback to ensure that your career development is on-track. In an effort to ensure that Educators employees understand their rights, we have introduced an Employee Bill of Rights.
- Employees will be treated with honesty and respect.
- Employees will be compensated for work performed.
- Employees will receive a job description, and the employee’s manager will communicate job requirements and expectations.
- Employees will receive informal feedback consistently from managers.
- Employees will receive formal feedback in the form of a written evaluation every 4 months.
- The workplace will be free from discrimination and retaliation.
- The workplace will be a safe and friendly environment.
- Employees will continue to learn and receive training on a continued basis.
- There is more to life than work. Employees and managers will work together to provide a flexible work schedule to provide employees with an appropriate work/life balance.
Educators Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer.