April is World Autism Month! World Autism Month encourages those around the world to raise public awareness of autism and highlight how to improve the quality of life for those diagnosed with autism.
Here are a few ways to celebrate this month:
- Wear blue throughout the month in honor of World Autism Awareness! Light It Up Blue is an initiative created by Autism Speaks. In the past, numerous landmarks have even been illuminated with blue lights to raise awareness about autism. Some of these buildings have included the White House, the Empire State Building and Niagara Falls.
- Play a Pokémon game. Did you know Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokémon, was diagnosed with autism as a child?
- Read a memoir or autobiography written by an author on the autism spectrum.
- If you know a child with autism, gifting them a sensory toy could go a long way! Sensory toys can help children with autism relax, remain calm and focus.
- Spread kindness. One way to help the world be more inclusive is to be kind. Kindness is contagious and makes the world a better place.
We hope you find a meaningful way to celebrate World Autism Month!