Tax season is here, and Educators Credit Union wants to make sure you avoid any problems filing this spring. Here are some tips to help you submit your taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Taxes are due on Monday, April 18. Make sure you have everything sent to the IRS by that date. The government requires that all tax documents be delivered by January 31. Follow up with any organization that has not sent your tax documents by then. For faster delivery, Educators’ tax documents can be found in the eDocuments Widget in Online Banking and Mobile Banking.
- When arranging a direct deposit for a tax refund, make sure to use your correct account number. The routing number for Educators is 275981378. Members can find their account numbers on their checks and in Online and Mobile Banking by selecting a share and then clicking on the Account Details tab.
- If you do not use the correct account number, you are liable for lost refunds. Double check that you are providing accurate information. The IRS uses account numbers, not names, to verify payment. If an issue occurs, contact the IRS right away. Visit IRS.gov for contact information.
- If you are having a professional file your taxes, be sure to thoroughly review your tax agreement before handing over valuable information. Avoid hidden fees or agreeing to something that doesn’t sound right. Never agree to let a tax professional deposit your return into their account first and then give it to you.
- If your account is closed or in a delinquent status due to funds being owed, your tax deposit will be returned.
If you have additional questions about filing your taxes, please contact a tax professional.